Check out Superbike Store for the best racing deals you can find!

Author Topic: Dealership says I need new brake rotors HELP!  (Read 1292 times)

JayRR

Dealership says I need new brake rotors HELP!
« on: March 13, 2007, 08:38:37 PM »
They say I need new rotors. Apparently,the front right is warped. They say I have to replace both on the front as well as the pads. The cost is what is upsetting. $292.72 each! Pads$32.49 each! Plus labor. We're talking about $900.00!! Is this normal? I was shocked to say the least. Any thoughts on this matter is much appreciated. The bike wasn't crashed, I think it happen when it got bound up against the chock in my hauler ( my bad! ).

maskale

• "If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride correctly could do!"
  • FREAK Member
Re: Dealership says I need new brake rotors HELP!
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 08:46:08 PM »
yeah the price sounds normal for a good ass reaming.

A chock will bend a rotor. Pads wearing out is just part of life, how many miles you got on them, I got 15K out of my OEM ones. The price for pads is what they cost. Check our sponsors and get some OEM or aftermarket ones from them.  OEM are good, so you dont have to go aftermarket on the pads, they cost about the same depending on what you get.   Check ebay for some rotors, i saw some on there today, if the seller has good feedback and they say they are straight you should be fine, you should be able to get a straight set of rotors on ebay for 100-150 for both shipped. If you can change the pads on your car, then you can change them on your bike, a couple of hours and you can have it all done.
Quote from: DIM
You guys are funny and I will agree this forum has a better knowledge base then .Net

maskale

• "If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride correctly could do!"
  • FREAK Member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 08:48:20 PM »
there is a review on these pads that Jeff did, check the braking section to the left under reviews.  the pads are Carbone Lorraine SBK3, this is what I have now, they are working great for the track.

You can also get them straightened, but you would have to check your local area or mail them off. If you buy some one ebay, you can turn around and sell the ones you have on ebay. Even though one of them is bent people will still buy them. 
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 08:50:18 PM by maskale »
Quote from: DIM
You guys are funny and I will agree this forum has a better knowledge base then .Net

bobhope

• FREAK Member
  • .....i'm not really an indian
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 08:48:35 PM »
would something like that be covered in a warranty, guys?  ???
"Scotch - Because one doesn't solve the world's problems over white wine."

-Anonymous

2old2fat2slow

• does your mother know you're a Ramone???
  • FREAK Member
    • DragonKnee Racing
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 08:49:50 PM »
NO!
Let there be Mirth

Jason748

• Global Moderator
  • FREAK Member
  • Get'in Faster....
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 09:15:59 PM »
Send your rotors over to Frame Straight Systems.  they'll straighten them for about $30 each.  Plus they'll be straighter than a new OEM set!
CCS/CRA #92
07 CBR600RR - RACE
Sponsors: Two Brothers Honda, Lithium Motorsports, SpyderLeatherworks

"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racingís important to men who do it well. When youíre racing, it... itís life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting."  -S

JayRR

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 10:05:38 PM »
Hey guys, thanks for the info. I only have 7000mi. on the rotors and pads. Can it really be straightend and be as good as new, or is it a hazard? I'm not sure how bad it is. I noticed it because I had to pump my break lever to get it back to the right pressure. If I need to get new ones maybe ebay is the ticket.

Jason748

• Global Moderator
  • FREAK Member
  • Get'in Faster....
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 10:16:08 PM »
Provided they are warped, and not actually bent, there should be no problems at all straighting them.   I've had more than a few rotors done and raced on them afterwards, with no problems.

Here's the web site:  http://www.framestraightsystem.com/Motorcycle%20Repair%20Service.htm
CCS/CRA #92
07 CBR600RR - RACE
Sponsors: Two Brothers Honda, Lithium Motorsports, SpyderLeatherworks

"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racingís important to men who do it well. When youíre racing, it... itís life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting."  -S

blindkiller

• FREAK Member
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007, 01:28:31 AM »
the price is high, but if you have the tools and you ask for some help it'll be provided here. Guy right around the corner from my house replaces OEM rotors and pads for the price of them and installs for 25 per rotor. Not up to speed on what prices are right now but i had all my pads replaced for what...$100 installed if i remember right. Frame sliders installed for $170... also bought a brand new AGV suit that a guy ordered and got the wrong size for 300 bucks, it still had the new leather scent to it and not a scratch on it what so ever. Used to love going there lol
:thumb: temper pedic mattresses don't have shit on cinderblocks and cardboard

" To reach manhood, we are all cast into the fire and are purified by pain."

Jeff

• Hoofa King cares!
  • Administrator
  • FREAK Member
  • ...if I could reach it? You bet I would!
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007, 09:13:12 AM »
hang on a few minutes here...

Rotors WARP.. .They do.  every last one of them...  They shouldn't necessarily need to be replaced because they're warped a little.  They should be replaced if they are BENT or TOO THIN..

Measure the thickness of the rotor and check it against the minimum diameter (stamped right on the side of the rotor).  If you're in thickness, don't sweat it!

Check to see how 'warped' they are.  Get your front end off the ground and spin the wheel.  Yes, the brakes may drag at a point in the rotor.  Again, they ALL do.  However, they shouldn't bind or come to a dead stop. 

Can you feel the brakes drag or front end shimmy while riding or under light braking?  You shouldn't.  If you don't, don't worry about replacing the rotors!

Framestraightsystem will fix bent or warped rotors, but again, most every rotor I've ever seen/used/been on has warped a bit...

Your dealer may simply be fishing for more maintenance...
Jesus would have seen my blinker and let me in you dick!

JayRR

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2007, 09:18:28 PM »
don't know if they are fishing for repairs, but the dude at the check in desk said it was bent. He may have used the wrong term. It may be very well be warped. I road it around the block over the weekend the only thing I noticed was the break lever squeezing down farther and resetting itself. didn't notice anything with the rotor binding or dragging. It may not be too bad. did call Ron @ Frame Straight he said he could fix it, but then again, that's his business. 50.00 a pop, not bad.

JayRR

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2007, 09:23:46 PM »
also i will check the front wheel as u suggested after i pick it up for $119.00 I. A . (inspect and assess) fee! WOW!

some_guy79

• FREAK Member
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2007, 07:24:35 PM »
I can't say for sure while sitting here at my desk never having seen your bike; but I'll bet your rotors are not straight.
don't know if they are fishing for repairs, but the dude at the check in desk said it was bent.
I road it around the block over the weekend the only thing I noticed was the break lever squeezing down farther and resetting itself.
It sounds like you're pumping the brake to build pressure. To my knowledge, this is not normal. If your rotor is warped or bent enough it will push the pistons back in the brake caliper. To recover from this you are pumping the brake and getting the pistons pushed back out (squeezing down farther and resetting). Then you have normal brake action for a moment.

My advice (whatever that's worth) is to go get those rotors fixed.

AlpineJim

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2007, 09:08:27 PM »
Oh the spec's in the Honda service manual for the 03-04 600rr are wrong.. If you convert the metric and standard they don't match up....
Matthew
03 600rr - Track

jeyrod

• Flying Squirrel Racing
  • Flying Squirrel Racing
    • Flying Squirrel Racing
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2007, 09:49:17 PM »
Jay I see you are from Jacksonville. Are you going to Honda of Jacksonville? If so, I remember they have some of the highest hourly rates I have ever heard of. Its about twice what it is here in Indiana. That will account for some of the cost.

I wont give you a recommendation on what to do cause I havent seen/ridden the bike but remember brakes(especially the front) are kinda important.
Flying Squirrel Racing
Lockhart Phillips USA
Vortex Racing
Amsoil
"I'm so far behind...I think I'm in first."